Friday, January 13, 2012

Butternut Squash and Kale Casserole

People in my life are very starkly split on the issue of "Chain Emails." But I recently got one that I just had to participate in: A Recipe Exchange. I thought to myself, what a great way for us to share information and encourage each other to experiment with food and home cooking. Recipes can make cooking feel 'safer,' but at the end of the day, it's just food! I will share my recipe with you.


Butternut Squash and Kale Casserole


This recipe originally called for 1lb of cooked penne pasta. I modified to make it more nutrient dense. But if you want it to spread out, try adding whole wheat or gluten free pasta before mixing/baking.


1 bunch of kale, ribs removed and chopped
1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
3 hot italian sausages, casings removed
1 medium onion
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (or more to taste!)
1 cup milk
2 tbs butter
1 1/2 cups grated asiago cheese
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper
 
Preheat oven to 350 deg. Heat olive oil in a deep pot (med-high), add onion and sausage to cook till translucent/slightly browned. Add butternut squash and 1/2 cup water, cook until nearly tender. Add kale, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Cook several more mins until kale is tender. Combine squash and kale mixture with milk and butter. Pour into large casserole dish. Top with grated cheese. Bake 20 mins until cheese is bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment