Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Happy Birthday to Grandpa Gene

My Grandfather turned 89 year old last week. And I am proud to say that he is living a healthy and rich life complete with healthy expressions of all of the areas of primary foods. He and my grandmother live in a retirement community with amenities to satisfy nearly every need. Knitting groups, woodworking areas, outdoor garden plots, fitness rooms, the list goes on. He remains connected in fulfilling relationships, stays physically active, eats a healthful diet, and continues to participate in past times that feed him. For example: Math.


In an email response to my birthday phone call Grandpa said:
 "it's still fun celebrating birthdays probably because I am still able to do what pleases me, as one example: I always wanted to return to my study of physics. This is my principal occupation now---- but I first had to enroll in the local community college to relearn math up to and through graduate school math, such as calculus, to handle the graduate level physics I'm dealing with....everyone here at Seabrook, where Edith and I live, knows that I'm the campus math tutor of the kids working in our dining rooms


While advanced math classes would not be my chosen principal occupation (yikes!), I admire the way Grandpa continues to value new learning, stretching his brain, and the search for knowledge and truth. It is my opinion that this is a large part of what has kept him is such good health. 


In our youth obsessed world, I invite you to take a different attitude toward aging. The winter of life does not have to be a time of stagnation, deterioration, and loneliness. Winter months are full of slow change and growth less aggressive and visible, but still present. Ice forms and slows but water continues to flow, animals become more quiet but many continue to roam and feed and need each other all the more to continue to thrive.


They say "use it or lose it." Or, taking a more positive spin, the Alzheimer's Association's slogan is "Maintain your Brain." Experts say that taking care of your whole body and health is the best way to maintain brain health and prevent Dementia. My favorite tip from the Alzheimer's association is "Connect with Others: Leisure activities that combine physical, mental and social elements may be most likely to prevent dementia. Be social, converse, volunteer, join a club or take a class." 

What can you do now and throughout your life to Maintain your Brain and your health?

No comments:

Post a Comment