- 2 pounds beets, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, roughly chopped
- a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable vegetable bullion dissolved in water
- 1 orange to yield freshly squeezed orange juice
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat beets and fennel with olive oil, thyme, a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for a minute or two. Add the roasted beets and fennel, and vegetable broth, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.Transfer mixture to blender or use and immersion blender to process until smooth. Stir in the orange juice and some of the pulp. Salt to taste.
Enjoy this lovely pink dish!